I said I would leave this alone, but this shared link caught my attention because it is both smart and funny.
It has inspired me. So, to my friends, allies, and kindred spirits who read this blog let's do an experiment--but only if you are game. I propose that each of you who are willing, do a post where you offer the following counter-factual: If (insert given white conservative) were black he/she would (insert different consequence for their behaviors).
Does a link/post party sound like fun?
For those of you with blogs please email me or post your links so we can share our respective posts. If you do not have a blog, simply post your thoughts here.
Who knows? together we may be able to just fight off the flurry of trolls and conservative zombies that will be inspired to come out of the woodwork to defend their selective champions.
There is an excellent post on We Are Respectable Negroes about the racist double standards in our society. Here's part of it that uses Sarah Palin to illustrate just how bad things still are...
We live in a society where it is socially acceptable to be crazy racist as long as one is careful not to express the racism directly. Indirect bigotry and code speak are quite common. Of course, this is hardly limited to racism. The problem is quite common with sexism and heterosexism too. Code speak like "Family Values," "Identity Politics," and "PC" are quite common and the "Identity Politics" code is often used by people who are on the left on some issues.
- His bosses would have fired him for hoping that a President would fail.
- His lack of command of facts would be used to question the intellectual capacity of an entire race of people.
- Republicans would stampede to criticize him, rather than cowering in fear.
- Rush's dishonesty would get him vilified by the right, while those same wingnuts would treat that dishonesty as something to be expected from "those people."
- Rush's sexual escapades would be tied to stereotypes about black men.
- His illegal drug use would have gotten him taken off the radio.
- Rush's incredible obesity would be attributed to stereotypes of eating habits and laziness.
Don't think for a minute that I'm making this up. There still is a majority view in this country that white people who are incredibly lazy, unpatriotic, bigoted, stupid, dishonest, dysfunctional, and just plain irritating are "superior" to people of other races just because of the concentration of melanin in their skin.